1801 East Cotati Avenue
Sonoma State University, Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Sonoma State University Extended & International Education
Professional Social Media Certificate Course
August 27 – December 3 on Wednesdays; 6 – 9:30 pm
Course Credit: 52.5 hours of instruction: 5.3 CEU’s
Fee: $1050 for semester Certificate
Fall 2014 Course Syllabus
- Leverage personal social media experience professionally
- Provide a consistent identity across channels
- Identify social media goals by determining what matters most
- Determine which social media channels work best as part of an overall strategy
- Use different channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, Vine, Instagram, blogs, Google+, Tumblr, industry specific, international channels, etc.) to address goals
- Explore the importance of video, images, memes, & infographics across channels, how to select and create effective images and video, determine bias and managing risk with use of intellectual property and shared material
- Use curation tools for finding, organizing and sharing content
- Understand the value of mobile
- Identify key performance indicators and build reports from them, analyze if an entire social media strategy is effective and demonstrate use of tools for measurement
- Segment and target audiences
- Use measurement, analytics and paid options (Facebook Ads, Sponsored Tweets, LinkedIn Premium)
- Develop a social media campaign
- Think strategically and adjust plans to changes in the community conversation
- Understand risk management, the importance of a social media policy, and how to adopt one
- Explain the benefits of building community online for your organization or company
- Integrate old and new media tools into an overall communications campaign and strategy
- Hands-on practice and experimentation with several popular social media platforms
- Hands-on use of monitoring tools and website analytics to listen and measure results
- Case studies of organizations using social media for their benefit
- Completion of a social media project
Prerequisites: Although no academic prerequisites are required to participate in the program, an advanced level of English for non-native English speakers is required. Additionally, participants should be comfortable using at least one social media channel (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.). All participants should bring a laptop. A browser is required and Internet access is provided.
Required Materials: Shared via GoogleDrive. Please be prepared to use GoogleDrive (this means having a Google account and reviewing these tutorials, if necessary).
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!