In case you haven’t noticed, there is a gender revolution happening in our culture. We’ve moved beyond binary when identifying our genders (male or female). Facebook responded and now has 58 different gender options for those that don’t fit the traditional system. But they didn’t tell anyone that you can change your gender on Facebook!
[UPDATE: This is my second most popular blog post of all time! I’m so happy to be providing a service to fellow LGBTQ+ people. Please share this with anyone you know that needs it!]
Of course I didn’t figure this out by myself. When I first read the article cited above, I mentioned it in class and a student asked me how to do it. I thought I would be able to figure it out without help but I had to look it up. So I wrote this blog to give instructions to anyone that wants to know how to change their gender on Facebook.
- Go to your profile
- Choose About
- Choose Contact and Basic Info
- Hover over your current gender and an Edit pencil will appear
- Choose Female, Male, or Custom
- A field will appear when you choose Custom, type the first letter of how you identify and a selector menu will appear allowing you to make a choice
- If you choose Female or Male, you will be asked if you want it visible on your Timeline
- If you choose Custom, you can designate how your pronouns are used and privacy/visibility settings