In case you haven’t noticed, there is a gender revolution happening in our culture. We’ve moved beyond binary when identifying our genders (male or female). Facebook responded and now has 58 different gender options for those that don’t fit the traditional system. But they didn’t tell anyone that you can change your gender on Facebook!
[UPDATE: This is my second most popular blog post of all time! I’m so happy to be providing a service to fellow LGBTQ+ people. Please share this with anyone you know that needs it!]
Of course I didn’t figure this out by myself. When I first read the article cited above, I mentioned it in class and a student asked me how to do it. I thought I would be able to figure it out without help but I had to look up the instructions. I wrote this blog knowing that the more resources we have out there to solve our problems, the better for everyone.
- Go to your profile
- Choose About
- Choose Contact and Basic Info
- Hover over your current gender and an Edit pencil will appear
- Choose Female, Male, or Custom
- A field will appear when you choose Custom, type the first letter of how you identify and a selector menu will appear allowing you to make a choice
- You will also be able to choose your pronoun, privacy, and whether you want it on your Timeline