Some people love to get birthday messages on Facebook.
Heck, the first year I was on I couldn’t figure out why no one wished me a happy birthday when my turn came. I realized I had the setting turned off (knowing a lot about reputation management can have its drawbacks).
And some people don’t.
If you’d like to hide your birthday on Facebook, here’s how to make sure all 900 of your friends aren’t notified, prompted to write on your wall, or purchase a sponsored product.
- Navigate to your profile (updated January 2016)
- Click About under your cover photo
- Click Contact and Basic Info
- Scroll down until you see your birthdate, hover over Birth DATE or Birth YEAR
- Click on Edit and choose whom can see either (I have it set to Friends for Date and Only Me for Year)
*If you select Only Me for your birth DAY, no one will know it’s your birthday and you will receive no birthday wishes from your friends.
**If you select Only Me for your birth YEAR, no one will know your age.
Not showing your birthday to the entire world is a good preventative measure to take against identity theft. Now that we can piece together more and more about each other based on the sheer volume available about us online, be safe where you can.
Featured image is me blowing out my candles on my 6th birthday :)