I spend much of my time either researching or training. I love to dive into settings for my clients. I like to quickly take care of the most nefarious and get their settings optimized right away. This is where I find many people run out of steam and give up because it’s simply too much and generally confusing. I found a few privacy settings I think you should know about on LinkedIn.
- Log in to LinkedIn
- Hover over your name in the upper right hand corner and Settings shows up on the drop down list, select
- At bottom left, look for Groups, Associations, and Applications, select it
- Under Privacy Controls, there is “Turn on/off data sharing with 3rd party applications”. Select or deselect at will.
- Again under Privacy Controls, there is “Manage settings for LinkedIn plugins on third party sites”
- This one is important: on the Account tab, there is “Manage Social Advertising”. This is where you select whether or not LinkedIn may use your name and photo in social advertising.
I recommend you read each of these carefully but I would bet money that you don’t know these settings are even there. Make sure you know where your data is going. I actually chose to keep the first two I mentioned but I opted out of social advertising. Be educated. Knowledge is power.